As a follow-up to my Monday newsletter article, I've signed up with GRC Wireless Recycling and expect to receive a mailing kit and posters from them by the end of the week. Cell phone use is growing exponentially (6 million new users a month in India alone) and the thought of another mountain formation on this island, made entirely out of cast-off phones is... ghastly.
GRC will accept all phones and batteries only, no chargers or accessories. The "memory" in these phones will be erased during the reactivation process that utilizes approximately 60% of those collected. The remaining 40% is considered non-viable and they're shredded, smelted and refined.
The goal: Offer free and/or discounted Prenatal Yoga classes funded through a cell phone recycling program, ASAP.